[dba-Tech] FW: [H] Exchange server 5.5 mail problems

Bobby Heid bheid at appdevgrp.com
Thu May 26 09:26:19 CDT 2005

Hey,

We are a small, 4 person shop.  We have Exchange Server (ES) 5.5.  We use an
ISP for outgoing and incoming mail.  The ES allows us to manage the email
centrally and to send each other mail without it going out first.

Well, starting about a month or so ago, our clients were not receiving some
of our emails.  I would send an email home and sometimes it would get there
and sometimes it would not (with and w/o attachments).

So I proceed to bounce the server.  A flood of e-mails went out!  Before
bouncing the server, the output queues were empty on the ES.  Bouncing the
server seems to release any "stuck" emails.

Anyone have any idea as to what may be going on?

The ES is running on an aging NT 4.0 server.

Thanks,
Bobby