[dba-Tech] Puzzling Attachments

Josh McFarlane darsant at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 21:36:22 CST 2005

On 11/13/05, Arthur Fuller <artful at rogers.com> wrote:
> I have tried to send pics to various friends, whose various email clients,
> and I'm not sure who uses which. But several friends have replied that the
> JPGs I send arrive as files called winmail.dat rather than Myfile.JPG. I
> have no idea how to fix this issue, nor even an idea which email clients
> create winmail.dat. I think hotmail is one of the guilty parties, but I
> could be wrong about that.
> Anyone know which clients create the attachment named winmail.dat? Is it
> exactly the same attachment (JPG) that I sent? In that case a simple rename
> would fix the issue. But I don't know.
> What if I archive the JPG first? Presumably the result would still be named
> winmail.dat, but it might be the archive file as it was sent.

Are you using Outlook? If so, take a look at
http://www.gpc.edu/~jbenson/resource/winmail.htm

There's also a KnowledgeBase article an Winmail.dat:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q138053/

For some programs to decode winmail.dat:
http://www.pchell.com/support/winmaildat.shtml

Hope that helps.
--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein