[dba-Tech] VOIP / Vonage

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Sun Feb 5 11:04:30 CST 2006

And I have wireless to my laptop as well.  My cable goes in to a cable
modem, which then goes into the vonage router, which BTW has a wireless lan
built in (for the computers that come after) and out of the vonage router my
two laptops are on the wireless lan abd a handful of other computers are
tied together via the 4 ports of the Vonage router.  So Vonage is one box -
2 phone lines, 4 port hardware router, and a wireless router.

The biggest issue is that Vonage wants to be at the head of the line because
if it is it will then slow down all other access to the web in favor of its
voice packets.  If it can't be at the head of the line, then it is "just
another requester of bandwidth" and if you are transferring a large file,
downloading music etc the phone quality can degrade.

From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Steve Erbach
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 11:05 AM
To: Discussion of Hardware and Software issues
Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] VOIP / Vonage

Tina,

The client I was talking about to John Bartow most certainly has wireless
broadband:  a laptop with a wireless "G" card in it, a Linksys wireless
router, and a Linksys broadband router with the two phone ports for the VOIP
phones.  One of those ports is for his fax machine; another goes to a 5-way
RJ-11 jack.  He has two cordless telephones plugged into that 5-way jack.
His DSL modem is plugged into the broadband router with the two phone ports.
The wireless router is plugged into the broadband router.  Works champion.

Steve Erbach