[dba-Tech] Rip your old LPs

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Thu Jun 15 14:46:03 CDT 2006

I have just started this LP to MP3 adventure. I am looking at replacing my
30 year old Pioneer stereo amp (the right channel has gotten arthritis kind
of like its master) First, it turns out very few receivers (it took me two
hours to figure out "stereos" are now "receivers")have phono inputs. I found
the Yamaha HTD-5960bl and took one look at the back and about passed out. Do
I ever feel old! What the hell is  optical I/O? I don't think even the
starship Enterprise had that feature. My old stereo had inputs for phono,
the new fangled cassette tape decks, and one extra for good measure. This
Yamaha sucker has XM radio connections, a bunch of decoders, an ipod dock,
S-video, etc, etc ,etc. I think there is even an option where you can talk
to God and possibly the NSA. I hate to put the Pioneer (aptly named now that
I think about it) out to pasture as we have been through a lot together (I
just found some of my old original Beatles 45s). It is a sad day when a
fella's stereo has to be put down. I'm seriously thinking of just buying the
ION. That I can handle (I think). Are you having any success?

Jim Hale

-----Original Message-----
From: John Bartow [mailto:john at winhaven.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:43 PM
To: 'Discussion of Hardware and Software issues'
Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] Rip your old LPs

Stuart,
Thanks for that link. So far I haven't undertaken vinyl transfers. The
cassette tapes went horribly wrong. I experimented a few months ago with
different methods and eventually bought a "PlusDeck" unit which is a 5.25"
cassette tape unit that mounts in the PC. None of the software works very
well so I used to it to feed SoundForge but about the time I got everything
figured out with my test batch of tapes I found that the vast majority of my
cassettes just don't work anymore! They have a load squeal to them when
playing :o(

Maybe I'll have more luck with the vinyl - I hope!

John B.