[dba-Tech] Rip your old LPs

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 15:15:15 CDT 2006

Hi Jim,

The Yamaha HTD5960 does have a phono input on it. See the data here
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR5960.htm#
It's the top left input jacks.

I have a Yamaha receiver that looks to be similar to this one
excepting it doesn't know about XM radio or IPOD's.  The reason that
receivers needed to have PHONO inputs in the past was that turntables
put out a lower powered signal than other audio gear and so there was
a special "pre-amp" for the phono that was used for the phono input
jacks. Many turntables you find now have the pre-amp built in to the
turntable. You can also buy the phono pre-amp in a seperate device, a
sort of black box which audiofile types supposedly consider better
because there is less chance of crossover between circuitry if it's in
a seperate box rather than crammed in with other stuff.

Don't get blown away by all the inputs and outputs. You only neet to
use the ones you have things to plug into and if you plug in one set
of cords at a time it's not that terrible. Optical connections are
jsut another option for connecting devices. They transmit signals
digitally and so there is no loss of quality or pickup of extraneous
stuff when you use that method of device interconnection. Optical
cords cost more though too.

The Yamaha receivers are intended to serve as the hub for a home
theater system so there are video as well as audio inputs and outputs
on most connections.   You do end up with a huge mess of cables after
you have it all hooked together.

I ordered the USB turntable from Amazon but it is on backorder until
August 31 I think it was. I should have it by winter when I would have
the time to play with it.

GK

--
Gary Kjos