[dba-Tech] Kill a Workgroup and Replace it with a Domain

Haslett, Andrew andrew.haslett at ilc.gov.au
Mon Mar 6 21:32:19 CST 2006

Standard practice with Romaing Porfiles are generally that you have:

1) The Profile itself - stores user settings / preferences etc -
basically, you're registry
2) A 'User' share, which is a folder containing your 'My Documents' /
'My Pictures' folders etc.

*Both* of these are stored centrally on a network share - only the
Profile (1) is copied to the users machines when he/she logs in.

Upon logging off it is saved back to the server (depending on policy it
is either deleted from the local machine or a copy is retained).

So the My Docs folder etc, are generally kept on the network share and
not copied to the local machine*.  This allows easy access from any
machine as well as a central location to perform backups etc.

(* when using a feature called 'off-line files' this can be configured
differently)

Cheers,
Andrew