[dba-Tech] Spam, spam, spam, spam ....revisited

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Mar 16 16:20:36 CST 2006

On 16 Mar 2006 at 19:51, Andy Lacey wrote:

> Anyone know anything about either 0Spam (that's ZeroSpam) or Cloudmark? Both
> came out high in a recent survey in 'Which?' magazine.

 )Spam appears to be a
> service, which I personally would be wary of for security reasons, but my
> friend who's looking seems coola bout.

1. It is primarily a challenge/response system - a *bad* idea for any
number of reasons. See
http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/challenge-response.html
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=389

2. It uses it's own "multi-dimensional DNS Blocklist"
Do you really trust a third party to decide what domains your legitimate
correspondents come from?  You don't know what their criteria are for
adding IP addresses to their blocklist or how to get addresses removed from
it.  What if they us some of the more aggressive block lists out to to
populate their own list?

0Spam WILL cause you to lose good messages.

>Cloudmark I don't know but looks like
> a major product. Anyone any first-hand experience of either?

It just uses other peoples definition of spam to determine whether what you
have is spam. It doesn't actually block anything, it just tags it as
spam/not spam.   If that is the case, you are better off using a bayesian
filter like K9 or POPFile and training them without needing to go off to a
third party site for every email you receive.   I bet that either K9 or
POPFile will give a far higher accuracy after a few weeks training on your
own mail than Cloudmark can.

Cloudmark wastes bandwidth, relies on other peoples perception of spam and
doesn't offer anything that you can't achieve on your own PC.

--
Stuart