[dba-Tech] Spam, spam, spam, spam ....revisited

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Thu Mar 16 18:16:36 CST 2006

I use a Bayesian filter - SpamBayes.

However I also report my spam to Blue Security.  http://www.bluesecurity.com
. Blue Security is a company dedicated to analyzing spam coming in from over
100,000 people now (me included) and reporting the spammers to a variety of
agencies.  http://www.bluesecurity.com/technology/overview.asp  It reports
sites which sell pirated software to the FBI and other government agencies,
as well as to the companies being pirated.  It currently reports spammers to
dozens of agencies including Interpol, the FBI, the FCC, the FDA and others
with authority to take action should they choose to do so.

Blue Security also analyzes how to email the offending spammers and "each
person who receives spam from that spammer sends a message requesting to be
removed from their list".  I quoted that because it isn't quite that simple.
There is an application that each person who uses Blue Security loads on
their machine.  Every machine that receives spam from a given spammer then
loads a list of email addresses to send to and sends an email FROM BLUE
SECURITY asking that the spammers use a blue security database to clean
their address list.  Essentially it turns the tables on the spammers, many
of whom illegally hijack (or rent illegally hijacked) computers to send
their spam.  They now get "clean up your email lists" messages from
potentially tens of thousands of computers.

I heartily recommend Blue Frog (the application).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Frog
http://bluefrog.mozdev.org/
http://www.webattack.com/freeware/comm/fwspam.html
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Email_Tools/Anti-SPAM_Tools/Blue_Frog_Ant
i_Spam.html
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&categ
ory=Web%20Annoyances&numpg=10&id=1863

There is no single tool that will eliminate spam, but using a good filter
and then reporting the spam you do receive to someone who will at least TRY
to do something about it works for me!