[dba-Tech] Building a network storage device

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Feb 7 09:17:58 CST 2007

Gustav and Bryan,

What I am not hearing though is why I would do this over just using Windows
XP?  I already own licenses to XP Professional.  Professional allows me to
remote desktop in to the machine if I need to do "on the spot admin" without
going to the server (It will likely be in another room down in the
basement).  I already know and understand XP whereas I have absolutely zero
experience with Linux.  It is easy to say "it just works" but if anything
ever does go wrong...

So what does Linux buy me over using Windows XP and just building a huge
raid array and sharing the root (or even a directory) on that array?  The
raid controllers I am looking at also have their own web admin for handling
that side of things.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting