[dba-Tech] Building a network storage device

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 11:08:53 CST 2007

On 2/7/07, JWColby <jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com> wrote:
> Gustav and Bryan,
>
> What I am not hearing though is why I would do this over just using Windows
> XP?  I already own licenses to XP Professional.  Professional allows me to
> remote desktop in to the machine if I need to do "on the spot admin" without
> going to the server (It will likely be in another room down in the
> basement).  I already know and understand XP whereas I have absolutely zero
> experience with Linux.  It is easy to say "it just works" but if anything
> ever does go wrong...
>
> So what does Linux buy me over using Windows XP and just building a huge
> raid array and sharing the root (or even a directory) on that array?  The
> raid controllers I am looking at also have their own web admin for handling
> that side of things.

Here are my $0.02.

What does Linux buy you over the XP licence that you already own.
Nothing. Not a d*mn thing.

What does NASLite buy you over the XP Licence you already own. Drive
space. You do NOT need to install it on your PC. It runs from a
floppy. It's the OS, the admin tools (local and remote), the "file
server" software. Everything in one 1.72 MB package and it runs from
that package. No installation issues, no upgrades, none of that. It
also buys you the ability to use low end hardware as your file server.

Now, as for when things go wrong. Make a copy of the floppy after you
have configured the system and keep it handy. If the OS/software goes
for a sh*t, swap floppies, reboot and you are back in business.

If a HD goes south, just do what you'd do with any RAID device that
goes south I guess. Never having used any RAID setup I can't comment.

NASLite doesn't have web admin, but it does have web status
monitoring. All the admin can be done via telnet. Yes, thats command
line but it is still done remotely. You can also sit at the keyboard
of the box and admin it that way too.

I suggested NASLite because it was a prepackaged ready to go solution
for what you were looking for.

If you are concerned about having to learn Linux, you don't have to to
use NASLite. You just need to be able to read a menu and follow
instructions.

Have  a read of the docs, all 8 pages, and that should give you a good
idea how little you really need to know.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"