[dba-Tech] Laptop and Norton

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 19:45:36 CDT 2007

John,

» Trying to do that as a business is tough.  If people pay $500
for a machine, they cannot understand how you can charge them $60 / hour for
5 hours to run down some devilish problem.

» And that is why I became a programmer.  Not enough of them, more demand than
supply, and yet still that fascinating "solving a puzzle" environment. «

For a few months two years ago or so I put out the word that I'd clean
up systems for a low fee ($50).  It was pin money, more or less.  Now
that I've gotten into the full-time working world again (13 months,
now) I've done very little of this sort of thing.  This particular
case is one where a friend asked me to help her daughter out.  If the
types of problems were more predictable it would be a bit more
enjoyable.  But having to research something new every stinking time
has gotten old.

I like what I'm doing in my current job, and weekly pay is awfully
nice.  15 years of my own business was about 5 years too long.  I was
stupidly stubborn about seeking full-time employment.

Steve Erbach