[dba-Tech] VPN

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Jun 15 16:48:37 CDT 2007

I am trying to set up a "vpn" into my home office, mostly for my use while
on the road.  I have reviewed all of the consumer grade routers and it
appears to be a crapshoot, with 1/2 of the users claiming it works great,
the other half claim it doesn't work worth paying money for.  And that is
for every consumer grade router.

So the first question is, are there any recommendations for a $200 or less
router that will do more than VPN pass-through (handle the VPN tunnel inside
of the router).

Second, does anyone have any experience setting up a computer to do this,
either Linux or windows 2003 standard edition?  If so are two NICs required
to do this (I assume so)?  Does a computer "slow down" the interface to the
internet for regular browsing / email kind of stuff?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting