[dba-Tech] DVDs vs. CDs

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 16:09:23 CDT 2007

On 6/14/07, Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com> wrote:
> Suppose that I wish to copy a CD, purely for backup purposes, with no
> intention of copyright violations? Must I purchase blank CDs to do this?
>
> The reason I ask is because the price of blank DVDs has plummeted to the
> point where there is almost no difference (price-wise) between CDs and DVDs.
> They are both around $.40 currently, in this neighbourhood. Actually, that
> might not be quite right. I think CDs are now more expensive, perhaps in the
> same way that hard disk prices work -- want a 20MB disk? It will cost you! A
> 250GB disk, I can sell you cheap, but 20MB, that's pricey.
>
> So the question is, should I wish to copy a CD, can I insert a DVD and it
> will do what I want? Or not?

It depends.

If you want a 1-to-1 copy of the CD so you can play the CD. No. CD
players can't read DVDs.

If you are going rip the CD to an ISO and then copy the ISO to the DVD
as a data file, then yes that will work. That should give you about 6
CDs to a DVD in ISO format.

Now for a cool trick that every geek needs to have up his sleeve. :)

If you get Virtual CloneDrive from SlySoft
(http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html) you can mount an
ISO from the DVD and you will be able to use your CD Player on your
computer to play the mounted ISO CD just like if the original CD was
in the CD Drive.
So you plunk in your DVD and have virtual access to 6 CDs.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"