[dba-Tech] Word indexing and notes question

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 15:27:02 CDT 2007

On 3/22/07, Susan Harkins <ssharkins at setel.com> wrote:
> I know how to use Word's indexing and footnoting features pretty well, but
> both have defaults that I can't seem to change:
>
> 1.) Indexing automatically includes page numbers. Now, I know it seems to
> defeat the purpose, but my manuscripts aren't layed out in Word. I just need
> a list for indexing purposes. Right now, I have to manually delete all the
> page numbers.

Can't help with this one. Couldn't see any way to NOT add the page numbers

> 2.) When footnoting a manuscript, I'd prefer that the notes themselves be in
> regular type, not the default footnote text. Also, I'd rather the numbers
> NOT be superscript in the note text.

These 2 are controlled by Styles.

To change the footnote text size:

Select Format|Style... menu
>From the Styles List, Select Footnote Text
Click the Modify... button
Click Format and Select Font
Select 12in the Size list (or whatever your Normal font size is)
Click OK
Click OK Again

Now from the Style Window that is still open...
Select Footnote Reference
Click the Modify... button
Click Format and Select Font
Uncheck Superscript
Click OK
Click OK Again
(Keep in mind that this change will also affect the footnote number in
the body of the document as well, ie it won't be superscript in the
body of the text either)

Click close to get back to your document

You will need to do this on every document that you have footnotes in.

The other way to do it, for a permanent change is to edit your
Normal.dot template. make the above changes and save normal.dot. Now
every new document will have the footnotes in regular font with the
number not being superscripted.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"