[dba-Tech] Automate internet speed test

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Nov 4 21:43:52 CST 2007

I am having a big problem with my internet speed.  I am paying for 5 mbit
and getting 5 mbit, sometimes, and .5 mbit at others.

I currently use speedtest.net for the simple reason that they keep a history
of all of my tests, and I can download the results.  I have done tests to
all over the world just out of interest, mexico, ireland, london, isreal,
india etc.  It is fascinating to see how well I reach all of these places.

Back to my problem.  In order to troubleshoot this problem I need to do a
test on a regular basis to try and establish the times of day that the
problem occurs.  I would like to automate hitting speedtest.net so I don't
have to do so manually, but I do not know how to even begin doing such a
thing.

Is it possible to do what I want to do, to have a program that I write open
a web site and "click on" a specific location on the screen, or by some
other means to accomplish what I do with the mouse right now?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting