[dba-Tech] Corrupted Word file

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Oct 25 13:23:21 CDT 2007

Jim,

The one I got was 16Kw and was about $3750, delivered.  They make smaller
ones but I figured that a lot of the cost was going to be in installation so
make it big enough to allow us to live through an emergency and long term
(several days) outage.  I had to have a plumber do the propane line to it.
The house already has propane ("500 gallon") so even if I am getting low on
propane it can run for several days without worry.  No gas cans to store or
go fill etc.

The generator has a sensor that senses that the electricity went off and
waits for 12 seconds.  If the power stays off after that it starts.  Waits
12 seconds (while the engine warms up and comes up to speed) and then
switches to the generator.  If the power comes back, it waits (12 seconds I
believe) before disconnecting the generator and switching back to the grid,
then waits about 60 seconds to allow the engine to cool off before shutting
down.  It actually starts up once a week and runs at half speed for 15
minutes just to keep the engine running and oiled etc.

These generators are sold in Home Depot and Lowes, different "house brands"
same company, although I don't think they actually have them in stock.
Generac is the company that actually builds them I think.

http://www.generac.com/Default.aspx

I bought it off the internet (in fact off of EBay) from Ziller Electric.
http://zillerelectric.com  Delivered to my door.  I HIGHLY recommend Ziller,
nice guy, knowledgeable about the generators and just a great experience.

The unit I bought was designed for residential use and comes with an entire
prewired circuit breaker panel.  You hire an electrician to mount the panel,
then pull pairs of wires off of the existing panel and using wire nuts wire
them to the matching size circuit in the new breaker panel.  The generator
breaker panel handles all of the switching of power between the original
panel and the generator panel, driven by signals from a controller
physically located in the generator box.

It will only handle X circuits of course, X being dependent on the size unit
you buy and which circuits you want to have powered.  I got my office walls
(though not the lights), the water pump from the spring, and most of the
walls and lights for the front of the house including the freezer and refri,
one air conditioner / heat, etc.  So there will be some circuits not powered
but you decide which are the ones most important to your situation.  All
told about $4,300 wired and plumbed, and I can now last for at least a week
24/7 without power from the grid, more if I can get a propane delivery in
that time.  Oh, and the same generator will work off of natural gas if that
is your fuel source, in fact it comes set up to run off of natural gas.  I
had to remove the air cleaner holder from the top of the engine, reach down
and slide a little widget that essentially changes the size of the fuel
delivery tube, then replace the air cleaner assembly in order to make mine
run off of propane.  All in the instruction manual.

The nice thing about having an automatic generator is that once you have
one, you will NEVER have severe enough weather to need it.  Not only that,
my having one protects my entire neighborhood from that severe weather.  ;-)

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting