[dba-Tech] VPC - What Do I Do Now?

Bill Patten bill_patten at embarqmail.com
Wed Dec 17 20:36:24 CST 2008

Wow, Stuart,

I was sure surprised to see your times, so I started trying to find out why
mine took so long. I also have a 2.4GB core 2 duo (E6600) and 4G of memory.
My VM is about 14G and located on my server. I have 1G Nic's on both
machines as well as a IG switch, but I moved it to my main machine thinking
it might be my network. It actually took longer, then I discovered that when
you set up a new machine you have to set the memory allocation, so I moved
it from 256 to 1.1 and saved a few seconds but still much more then yours.

I suspect the difference is that I normally shut down the VM when I'm done
and you may close it from the console and "save the state". if I close and
"save the state" it takes about 11 seconds to open. If I am correct  then
Rocky might like to know, otherwise he could wind up with real slow times
like I had.

Bill