[dba-Tech] A few questions about media files

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Feb 15 11:27:35 CST 2008

Naw, on to other things.

I was trying to discover whether or not upgrading my processors to the quad
core was worthwhile and whether upgrading the server OS and SQL Server to
x64 was worth while.  It certainly appears to be.  I will need to wait
awhile for the quad core upgrade as I am using the AMD Phenom and it has a
bug which will be fixed  in the next stepping due out next month.  I can do
an immediate upgrade to my other server though to install the X64 software.

Until a couple of months ago I had never tried to run X64.  I was just
afraid that I would spend dozens of hours trying to track down drivers and
such.  It turned out to "just work" which says something given that I am
doing hardware RAID as well (two different controllers now).  There are
still issues with things like virus scanners and software firewalls but
given that these are servers where I do not browse the internet or do email
the risk is substantially smaller than it otherwise might be.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting