[dba-Tech] Linux Newbie in Distress

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Sat Mar 22 09:18:33 CDT 2008

Ah John, always the optimist with the "bon mot"! <grin>

Of course, if we were setting up Windows from scratch, we would be
having similar issues.  I suppose it is a good thing, though, to get
down this much closer to the foundations of an OS and learn what really
goes on.  I need to know this stuff, so I will learn it.  Then, I'll
trade you knowledge for knowledge.  Every time you describe a new setup
with virtual machines inside virtual machines processing millions of
records in seconds, or you craft some brilliant solution to a database
problem, I quietly salute you and dream of the day when I know what you
know.  It tickles me silly on the odd occasion when I know something you
don't and I get to share it with you.  You and the other genius gurus on
this list are my heroes.

Tina