[dba-Tech] Multiple versions Access on one machine - Was: VM for different versions of Access

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Mar 28 10:56:32 CDT 2008

Tina,

Yes, you have to install updates for the older programs as you install the
program itself.  There are things installed later that can prevent
installing the updates in previous versions.

Office is really a mess from an installation point of view.  You place each
version in its own directory but files still "leak out" into the system
directory, and also into the registry.

So yes, install 97 and ALL of its updates, then the next version, then the
next etc.  All the available updates before moving on to the next version.

Even when you do this, there were versions that insisted on an "install" if
another version was the last used.  I don't really remember them much any
more since I am now doing all of my dev work in 2003, even for older
versions such as 2000 and XP (2002).

You really might want to just install 97 and then 2003 and be done with it.
My experience is that 2003 is flawlessly backwards compatible with 2000 and
2002.  97 as you know is a completely different beastie and if you still
need it... well you still need it.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting