[dba-Tech] What's Better?

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 10:28:18 CST 2008

I've found that for Access work in particular rotation speed makes a
big difference. As you say there are other factors such as buffering
that factor into it too, but in most cases the faster rotation will
translate to faster transfer rate and faster seek times. As files get
fragmented the faster seek time will really make a difference. In my
opinion. I had a 10,000 rpm SCSI drive in one of my older systems -
until it croaked - and that baby screamed when doing Access work. I
really miss that.

GK