[dba-Tech] Interesting software

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Nov 30 01:38:03 CST 2008

Another way to protect your machine:

I just bought a new laptop on Friday ( Core 2 Duo 2.4, 4GB Ram, 320GB Hard drive).
I've spent the last two days getting it set up including copying everything over from my old
laptop and re-installing software.( and I'm not finished yet)

First thing I did was instal VirtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/

Then I set up a clean virtual machine running XP Pro and installed Firefox and a few utilities
that I use all the time. I cloned that a few times and set up one with Office 2003 and one with
Office 2007, one with Visual Studio and kept one as a clean box.

Now I can do all my surfing, downloading  and software development and testing in any one
of the virtual machines.  If something goes wrong, I can either roll it back or just dump the
whole thing and clone a new one.   It's brilliant.

 --
Stuart