[dba-Tech] Avira

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Tue Apr 7 10:08:32 CDT 2009

To some degree I'd concur that  it is a matter of personal preference.

-Avira has not failed any of my customers by allowing malware through
whereas AVG has a couple of times in the last few months - mostly with the
fake antivirus malware, which is a difficult case no doubt. No security
product is perfect. This could just be that the AVG users were more prone to
visit sites with fake AV downloads than the Avira users. Statistics...

-I find the UI a bit easier to understand than AVG's. AVGs UI has improved
but still seems a bit odd to me.

-Avira free allows more scheduling options than AVG free.

-Avira "seems" to run faster than AVG. I haven't personally benchmarked them
against each other but there are (old) benchmarks that do compare security
products and Avira is slightly better performance wise than AVG.

John