[dba-Tech] looking for an alternative to Exchange

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Apr 7 12:10:27 CDT 2009

Hi John

A qualified bet is hMailServer:

http://www.hmailserver.com/

Version 5.x is closed source while 4.x is open-source (C++) but both are free to use and offers unlimited domains and users.
A nice feature is that all mails are kept in a simple folder structure as discrete files as received while all key data (sender, receiver, date, etc.) are extracted and stored in a MySQL or SQL Server.
Also, the support forum is excellent.

/gustav

>>> john at winhaven.net 07-04-2009 18:59 >>>
To put it a simply as I can. I'm looking for an email server system that can
handle incoming/outgoing internet email addresses but can also redirect the
email sent to inter-office addresses so that they don't need to leave the
network. Open source (or low cost) for Windows Server 20003/2008 would be
great.