[dba-Tech] XP registry repair

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 10:29:11 CDT 2009

Thanks for quick responses Jon & Rocky

I don't know what to make of it really. As I say the pc's working fine so I
suppose the registry can't be that hosed. But I can't reliably register or
unregister anything. Logged on as user 1 I can reg certain DLL's but not
others. Logged on as user 2 I can reg the ones user 1 can't but can't reg
the ones that user 1 can. !!!!!!!! Tried creating a new user but that
doesn't help me - fails the first register I tried. I don't know what to
make of it. It smacks to me of a security issue, although then I'd have
expected the error to say "You don't have rights to do this" or somesuch.

Mmm, looks like my security thing may be right. I've just gone into the
registry and indeed the keys are showing with different permissions. For
some User 1 has Full Control and user 2's not mentioned. For others
vice-versa. Just googled this and

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-the-registry-and-the-file-permissions-in-windows-xp/

recommens using SecEdit to reset reg permissions. Very nervous. Anyone any
experience here?

--
Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk