[dba-Tech] Vista looses frequently LAN connection and can't reconnect via DHCP

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Jun 17 07:53:35 CDT 2009

Hi all, a follow-up

We equipped a laptop with a fixed IP address but it still failed so we had to look elsewhere than at the DHCP function for the source of error.

Further research revealed that those workstations never failing were connected to the right bank of 8 ports of 3 banks in total on a central Dell switch (not delivered by us) while all those that did fail - including the bridge for the WiFi and the workgroup printer - were connected to the left and center bank of ports. Only 7 nodes were attached; moving these to the right bank of ports seems to solve the issue. Fingers crossed.

A new HP switch will be set up next week.

/gustav

>>> Gustav at cactus.dk 16-06-2009 15:38 >>>
Hi all

Anyone having trouble with this?
We have a client where Vista client laptops frequently pops off and on the wired LAN. Sometimes the new DHCP request fails and the pc stays disconnected. Later you can reestablish connection.

We located this:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-45038-internet-disconnects-when-2nd-user-is-on#p45086

with links to these:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

and as the client often use sleep mode for the laptops:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933872
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152

The router is an older Zywall so the KB article may apply  haven't check that yet - but I wonder if anyone have some other ideas?

/gustav