[dba-Tech] Open source trend -- seeking opinions and insight

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 19 19:55:20 CDT 2009

Hi Susan:

Just got back and have to leave tomorrow until Tuesday so a quick one...

Yes, I do a bit of Open Source support. Ubuntu Linux is my favourite desktop
OS, along with Sun Office, kmail(mail/contact/etc...), Samba (Linux to
Windows network support), FireFox (internet) etc. I have created an ISO
disk, using Ubuntu, along with a collection of Open Source and Linux
supported packages that allows me to install a full system on any computer
in an hour or less.

It is great for clients who want to utilize their old computers and put a
new system onboard with all the latest features. I can then sell computers
on Craig's List, just give them away on FreeCycle or maybe offer them to a
school.

The latest version of Ubuntu is very refined, simple to use and if a client
is having problems I can just remote-in and check things out.

I think it is such a waste of good hardware, that's only problem is it just
can not run the latest Windows OS.

I think someone with a little more energy could make quite a profitable
business out of refurbishing old computers in a similar style.