[dba-Tech] PowerPoint Web presentation

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed May 20 17:12:58 CDT 2009

> so I guess Microsoft thinks they're the most
> universally advantageous settings, but why?

Because you need to use IE to view the output properly with those setting?
I just created one and tried it in Firefox.  The text boxes are all VERY badly displaced fro
the background graphic.

> since you can save the presentation as
> a single Web page,

The single file version saves as a  .mht file which many browsers don't support.

 From Wikipedia:
<quote>
MHTML, short for MIME HTML, is a web page archive format used to bind resources which
are typically represented by external links (such as images, Flash animations, Java applets,
audio files) together with HTML code into a single file. The content of an MHTML file is
encoded as if it were an HTML e-mail message, using the MIME type multipart/related. The
first of the file is normally encoded HTML; subsequent parts are additional resources
identified by their original URLs and encoded in base64. This format is sometimes referred
to as MHT, after the suffix .mht given to such files by default when created by Microsoft
Word, Internet Explorer or Opera. MHTML is a proposed standard, circulated in a revised
edition in 1999 as RFC 2557.

Few browsers support this format, and the process for saving a web page along with its
resources as an MHTML file is not standardized across those browsers that do. Due to this,
a web page saved as an MHTML file using one browser may render differently on another.
</quote>

Even if it is supported, it's not necessarily a good idea.  You have to download the whole
.mht package to see a single slide- even the intro.  With a normal multiple file setup, you
only need to download a specific slide if you want to see it.

> On the Pictures tab, the default Monitor display setting is 800 X 600.
> Again, why?

Many people still use that resolution.
Using that as the default means that the page layout works with low resolution monitors and
with browser windows which are not maximized.