[dba-Tech] PowerPoint Web presentation

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu May 21 11:28:52 CDT 2009

Hi Susan

Most of these options have to do with which browsers you wish to support, IE6 or newer only, or some other and/or older browsers.
The trick here is to mark the third option on tab Web Browsers: Create additional versions of the presentation for earlier browsers.

As for saving the presentation in one file, forget that. It is only supported by IE and doesn't create a file smaller than the sum of the individual files.

Recently I made a pamphlet in PowerPoint, and it happened that we needed to convert it to a set of web pages. It was a bit of a challenge and - after many tests to study the generated output - still required some manual tweaking of the generated html to get a result that would be presented properly in non-IE browsers like Chrome and Safari. You can watch it here:

  http://www.cactus.dk/IPtelefoni.htm

where you will notice that it displays and zooms very nicely in IE but, in other browsers, fixed size main images are used (determined by the setting for browser window size). Notice the bottom-right button in IE to run it as a slide show.

/gustav

>>> ssharkins at gmail.com 20-05-2009 22:06 >>>
I have a few questions about a few options for saving a presentation as a
Web page. I have checked Help and the Web and found nothing. :(

To get to these options, do the following:

Choose Save As Web Page from the File menu.
Click Publish.
Click Web Options.

On the File tab there are 4 options:
Organize Supporting Files in a Folder.
Use long file names whenever possible
Update Links On Save
Check if Office is the default editor for web pages created in Office.

Now, I can guess at what these mean, but I really don't know for sure. PP
selects them all by default, so I guess Microsoft thinks they're the most
universally advantageous settings, but why? The organize supporting files in
a folder option makes no sense to me since you can save the presentation as
a single Web page, which organizes everything you need with the file -- so I
don't get what additional advantage this option might include.

On the Pictures tab, the default Monitor display setting is 800 X 600.
Again, why?

Everything else makes sense to me. Thanks for any hints at understanding
these settings.

Susan H.