[dba-Tech] [dba-OT] LCD vs Plasma

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 09:57:42 CDT 2009

Yeah, most of the new equipment includes a universal remote that will
run other stuff. With our cable system we have to pay extra for HD
service. I think the broadcast channels are still available in HD
regardless but you don't get the other HD channels unless you
subscribe.

You nedd to stop trying to cost justify the purchase. It doesn't
matter that you only watch one hour per day. So one hour per day is
still 7 hours per WEEK. That should be the best experience it can be
shouldn't it?  ;-) I think you are probably thinking that you don't
WANT TO watch more TV either right?  Having a good setup won't MAKE
YOU watch more TV, it will just allow you to enjoy the time you do
spend watching it more.

Unless your stereo can do 5.1 surround or better you should consider
replacing it too. Really. The rear channels make a HUGE difference.
The Center Channel makes a huge difference too. The Subwoofer is
dramatic but not as big of a deal as the center and rear channels are
in my opinion.

My receiver is the hub of my system. Everything feeds into the
receiver and the switching between content is done there.  I also have
a universal remote but it's not one I got with any of my devices, it's
a seperate unit. It is programable through a USB connection on a PC,
so you select all the devices you need to control on the PC and then
download those settings to the remote. Works much slicker than trying
to set code numbers in remotes.

When you watch some concert DVD's with the surround system working you
will understand. Granted, for watching the news - especially since you
are not really watching the news - it would seem to not make much
difference. I do enjoy having our local news in HD myself. I've kind
of become an HD snob though too. I'd rather watch ANYTHING in HD
rather than ANYTHING ELSE not in HD.

GK

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Rocky Smolin <rockysmolin at bchacc.com> wrote:
> Good info.  My biggest problem with the whole idea is how little we
> currently watch TV.  I would say we average maybe 1 hour a day. I don't
> count watching the news while I'm making dinner.  The mute is on during the
> commercials and because I'm busy at the stove I miss about 1/2 the news
> anyway.  And we have 4 TVs.  The one in the bedroom is virtually never used.
> The one in my office hardly ever.
>
> The main box right now is a 32".  19" high.  So is the 16:9 stuff all HD?  I
> haven't even looked at how much of our cable stuff is HD.  So a 50" diagonal
> would be about 28" high?
>
> The current one I ran the sound out to the stereo (which is hardly used
> either) but it was a PITA having the extra remote for the sound. I suppose a
> newer TV will have a more universal remote which could run the stereo as
> well.
>
> So the current spec is 1080p, 120Hz, LCD.  Size - TBD.  Vendor - Sony and
> Samsung.
>
> Maybe I should just lay down until the feeling passes.

Gary Kjos
garykjos at gmail.com