[dba-Tech] FW: Friday's Visual Basic World Submissions: A1 FULL CGI/ASP Website Using only VB6 ...

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Sep 4 15:26:37 CDT 2009

On 4 Sep 2009 at 15:39, Max Wanadoo wrote:

> I think it is a throwback to the days when a person could code anything with
> a small footprint, fast processing, and rapid deployment all combined.

Those days are still here. You are describing PB/WIn from PowerBasic

> You know, before BLOAT and before "Ease of Use" became a dirty word.

That is a real compiler directive in PB/Win:
<quote>
#BLOAT metastatement
Purpose
 Artificially inflate the disk image size of a compiled program.
 Syntax
 #BLOAT size_expression
 Remarks
 #BLOAT allows the creation of artificially bloated program files on disk, in order to match or
exceed that generated by competing "BloatWare" compilers.  #BLOAT does not affect the
memory image size (running size) of a compiled program.
 </quote>

> Whatever we do now with the new-fangled programming languages, nothing
> changes to what is delivered to the client.

I'm right in the processing of re-writing the VB6 data entry applications for the PNG Electoral
Roll in PB/Win.  Looks exactly the same, but it's smaller and faster with no dependencies on
registered components so it's zero configuration on workstation.