[dba-Tech] Ruby on Rails

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 18:32:35 CDT 2009

Thanks Jim and Mark for your encouragement in this adventure. As to the RoR
aspect of this thread, I eventually found my way out of the jungle to a
clearing, as it were, and have taken time to pause for a breather. The RoR
paradigm/framework is very interesting, I'm learning. It assumes the
Model/View/Controller setup for everything (i.e. every table and its
children), and also assumes three project-subpaths (development, test and
production). Within that structure lies Migrations, a directory containing
scripts to move the significant aspects of a project from development to
test to production.
I think that experienced developers of any professional app tend to follow
this structure anyway, but it is nice to have the whole tree laid out for
you in a single command.

The part you have to do by hand, not surprisingly, is "create the forms".
That's pretty simple, given all the scaffolding already provided by RoR. A
few lines of HTML and you're there, and the app runs. Since my last post I
have progressed to a classic master-detail form and it was a breeze.

More reports to come.

Arthur