[dba-Tech] Free "Mathematica" type software

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Aug 13 10:23:23 CDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arthur Fuller" <fuller.artful at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion of Hardware and Software issues" <dba-tech at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:57 AM
Subject: [dba-Tech] Free "Mathematica" type software

>I am brushing up on my mostly forgotten math, and seeking an app that can a)
> format math formulae correctly, and b) accept arguments and then solve the
> formulae. Anyone know of something that can do this? Now that I have
> officially retired, price or lack thereof is paramount, since it's only a
> hobby with me.
>
> Apparently research shows that the most effective way to stave off
> Alzheimer's is by constantly exercising the brain, to which end my
> retirement has led to many free hours that were previously spent writing
> software for clients. Now I'm learning Mandarin and Cantonese and reading
> stuff about molecular biology -- oh, and playing a few games of chess a day.
> I want to refresh my cobwebbed math grey cells.
>
> Arthur

Arthur

http://www.openoffice.org/product/math.html and http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors/MathObjects.pdf
might meet a) while Open Office Calc may do b) for you.

Also, a little more than you asked, ubuntu and its multitude of open source software may also appeal to the budget and prove a
satisfactory armamentarium to ensure your brain remains well stimulated.  Indeed you may like to write some open source stuff in
your retirement!   For example Base may well benefit from your massage based on your experience?

I hope this is all you seek and more!  My best wishes for your retirement!