[dba-Tech] OS on Eproms

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 28 13:40:19 CST 2010

Hi Max:

I have not created Linux on an EPROM. There are a number of links with that
information: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/0243?page=0,0 the previous
is one of many. I have a friend that was given a course at the local college
on how to burn Linux to chips. He was and is now working on the 'oil patch'
and builds these EPROM chips for a Linux and associated proprietary
software. Places where the systems may run in very severe conditions and can
not afford a system melt down from time to time.

Not exactly the same as running from an EPROM, I have installed Ubuntu to a
CD/DVD which will just boot up. The next step would be to move the bare OS
to a Memory Stick. There is an application that comes with the latest
versions of Ubuntu 8.x and up which makes a bootable USB device... This is
not EPROM burning but the results can be very similar and it negates the
requirement for a plug-in EPROM boot card and a burner kit.

When the USB/CD/DVD boots on a new computer it requires enough memory or
hard drive space to manage the local devices, other software and from that
the OS can either be installed of just run from the disk or attached device.
That is a feature of Ubuntu Linux...

I do not know whether Windows is designed to be able to work in this
fashion.