[dba-Tech] Once and for all time: server backups

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Jan 15 10:43:47 CST 2010

Hi all (Linux gurus included!)

DeltaCopy and Cyqwin 1.7: Long directory paths and file names with international characters!

Copy these file from the Cygwin 1.7 distribution (folder bin) to the DeltaCopy folder:

chmod.exe
cygcrypto-0.9.8.dll
cyggcc_s-1.dll
cygiconv-2.dll
cygintl-8.dll
cygpopt-0.dll
cygwin1.dll
cygz.dll
rsync.exe
ssh.exe

and DeltaCopy will support long directory paths and file names with international characters.

But how do you mount drives with Cygwin 1.7?
Now you specify mounts in the file fstab in folder etc (_not_ in the Registry as previously).
It is explained here in detail:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

but I can't get it to work. I've created a the folder etc as a subfolder to the DeltaCopy folder.
I've also tested with the windows\system32\drivers\etc folder but negative.

The setting used is like this where BackupOne is the share name of a shared folder on the remote machine:

//192.168.10.210/BackupOne /backupshare smbfs binary,noacl 0 0

Any ideas?

/gustav

>>> marklbreen at gmail.com 14-01-2010 10:53 >>>
Hello Steve,

Sorry, I did not make one point clear.

machineB, as I called it can be any machine capable of storing a terabyte
drive, or better again, two 1 TB drives in Raid 10 configuration.

so 50 dollars for a cheap raid 10 card
200 dollars for 2 x 1TB drives

install them in any old PC, does not have to be server even, and vollia,
 you have hot backups using DeltaCopy (Check it out it is really good).

it is cheap, but gives you full hot onsite backups and costs, less than 300
usd.

If you install hamachi and put another PC off site somewhere, you can keep
the 2nd set of hot backups off site.

A tip:  If you do the off site solution, first mirror the machines on site,
then your off site sync process will only deal with the differences on a
daily basis.

BTW, I agree with all you say about backups and security - black art.

Mark