[dba-Tech] RAID 5 repair

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 17:50:30 CDT 2011

Dear Group,

My client that I'm having trouble with the VPN/Remote Desktop also has
a dead RAID 5 drive.  It's a four drive array and the three remaining
drives are doing what they're supposed to be doing.  I've given drive
replacement info to my client (the drives are CHEAP) but he hasn't
bought any yet.

My question is (besides how do I slap some sense into his thick
head!): is there any preparation I need to do with the drive before I
slot it in and allow the RAID controller to re-synch the drive array?
That is, format it or something?  Or does the RAID controller take
care of that after I've installed the new drive?

It's an HP server that's about 4-5 years old using drives like the following:

COMPAQ BF03664664
(http://www.serversupply.com/HARD%20DRIVES%20W-TRAY/ULTRA160-SCSI/36GB-15000RPM/HP-COMPAQ/BF03664664.htm)

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

Regards,