[dba-Tech] Not Sure Quite What I'm Dealing With Here

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Apr 28 12:09:58 CDT 2011

Ah! Yes, if you don't know when the symptoms started you should just go all
the way back to the oldest system restore that you can find and see if it
solves the issue. You can always undo a system restore an then step through
them later.

If that doesn't work then it may have been an infection that was cleaned off
by some scanner that didn't remediate the problems it caused. First, I'd
suggest running a full scan with MalwareBytes and Vipre. (If Vipre was
installed on this computer I'd suggest you call Sunbelt free support and let
them help you through it.) Second, given that you have so little information
about the problem and when it occurred you may just want to perform a
Windows Repair install. It will retain all of the programs and user files
and settings but repair Windows System Files which are obviously damaged.
Boot from the Windows CD, proceed all the way until it allows you to choose
what type of installation you wish to do (not the first screen that allows
you to hit "R" for repair-its further on than that). It will replace the
Windows System Files that have been changed and repair the registry in
regards to Windows System functions, to its original state. You will have to
apply the latest Windows Updates when finished.

Good Luck!