[dba-Tech] Windows June 2011 Update: Breaks network share?

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Jun 18 12:13:40 CDT 2011

Hi Jim

That sounds like a clever strategy. We've so far managed with RDP (workstations and servers) and VMware host console at the places where we are in control of the remote firewall. If not, LogMeIn (free version for commercial use) has never let us down and allows for access to a remote admin machine which can gain access to the client's non-Windows machines if needed.

I'll make a note on OpenVPN though we haven't missed it features yet.

A lot of stuff about the KB2536276 issue seems to pop up at the moment. It breaks connection to nearly all not-so-new Linux NAS units of any brand. I've persuaded Stu at Windows Server News to post about it hopefully to put some pressure on MS to provide an update or at least an official warning.

/gustav

>>> accessd at shaw.ca 18-06-2011 18:58 >>>
Thanks for the link, Gustav. I have read about the new encryption standards
set by Windows7 and only recently did a Linux update come out to fix the SMB
connection.

My greatest fear, in networks, is to ever lose connectivity especially as
most of my client work is done remotely. To that end I setup RDP (works on
Linux or Windows) to connect to all servers and most stations, also
extensively use LogMeIn (Hamachi core), a few miscellaneous extras like
UltraVNC (works on Linux or Windows) and NetMeeting (as it is by default on
all XP stations) rounds out all the clients. For extra safety I use OpenVPN
to encompass my entire network which works with any computer regardless of
the OS or regardless of where the computers are situated (it will allow a
laptop or a station for that matter, to connect to the network from anywhere
in the world as if it was attached by a local network cable) and does it all
with complete security (brilliant piece of code and I can not recommend it
highly enough).

The good thing is that the above protocols have remained static and are not
affected by the whims or assertions of our OS designers.