[dba-Tech] Google madness

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat May 28 18:30:54 CDT 2011

Currently there are no real alternatives.

True, there are some other translators, even paid alternatives but their
quality just isn't there yet and for the most part they are not even
comparable, at any cost. The Google translator was the first and by far the
best of it ilk. Just its API being out there has decimated all its
competition and when it leaves the stage it may take a number of years for a
viable alternative to match it very complex phase analysis and data indepth
data sources.

I do not believe that it is even possible as Google has been using the
knowledge of thousnads of users which have been assisting the product by
correcting their translator and no other paid for translator has had
thousand of people, world wide, working for free just to support and improve
it. I would love to see the API being turned over to the Open Source
community then it might very well become the ultimate translator and such a
situation as now, would never happen again.

If you need further proof, just compare Google's spell checking capabilities
against a Microsoft's paid for spell checker and we have a similar
comparison...or not.

So we shall see.