[dba-Tech] netbook as a home music server

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 12 14:13:17 CDT 2011

Our patchwork home entertainment system has a DVD player/recorder that
we watch NetFlix DVDs on, and occasionally record satellite TV video
with. It's fine for that, but it doubles as the system's CD player, and
with that there are two problems: CD playback isn't terrific, and who
wants to fiddle with single CDs any more?

Why not just rip CDs to FLACs onto a music server, and point & click
when we want to hear 'em? Seems to me a wee $300 NetBook with a .25TB
drive and HDMI could hold about a thousand CDs in lossless FLAC form and
deliver the material digitally straight to the HDMI input in our
receiver with better quality than most CD players costing three times
that much. Anybody have an idea what might be wrong with this setup?

PB