[dba-Tech] [AccessD] Numbers within a street

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 17:06:37 CDT 2011

Thanks for the "second pair of eyes" on the problem. I'm thinking of
resuscitating this old app and making it slick and Windows/Linux friendly.
If not for profit, then just to keep Alzheimers away. As my best friend
Peter says, "The best defence against Alzheimer's is to keep thinking."

So in the interim I shall add new columns, one for streetName and one for
streetNumber, and then do an update query to populate as many rows as
possible. Then I can isolate the failed rows and manually populate them so
that everything is hunky-dory.

It's an interesting phenomenon, politics x software dev. I know this turf
like the back of my hand, albeit within a CDN context. Venturing out would
require some serious adjustments: here in Canada we have a notion called
Ridings, which vaguely corresponds to geographical areas. I'm not sure what
the USA term for these objects is, nor the Danish or French or Italian or
Spanish, for that matter.

In CDN parlance, a Riding corresponds to some arbitrarily defined
geographical area. Upon election, the winning party is free to reposition
the boundaries of any given riding, and it's not all corrupt, but often is.
Move the boundaries describing Riding xxx to exclude people of some ethnic
persuasion, and plonk those disenfranchised people into Riding yyy, which we
know we could never win. Etc. There are lots of games played here.

What is the USA equivalent to a Riding? And further down the pike, within a
Riding there exist any number of Polling stations, the theory being that one
should not have to walk more than 5 blocks to cast her vote. What is the USA
equivalent of that concept? And (hello Gustav) what is the Danish
equivalent? And for the numerous Aussies on this list, what are your
designations for these concepts?

I mention only these because we are in frequent communication. But I welcome
answers from anyone in a country not previously mentioned.

And finally, let me throw out a gauntlet. IMO, I think that rep-by-pop is
the correct answer. However, CDN law dictates rep-by-geography, which in my
opinion is ridiculous. The province of Saskatchewan, for example, contains
fewer people than the city of Scarborough, and yet it occupies many more
seats in Parliament than does Scarborough. This, IMO, is fundamentally
wrong: geography does not and should not matter. What matters is the
head-count.

A.