[dba-Tech] Ram Usage

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Sep 15 06:06:53 CDT 2011

Hi Mark

What is "VMWare vSphere free version"?
We use the free VMware Server extensively, it even runs the two DCs.

At workstations with Win7, we use the free XP Mode for running old apps. It works very well too.

/gustav

>>> marklbreen at gmail.com 15-09-2011 11:40 >>>
Hello All,

I was reading about the VMWare vSphere free version this morning.  If VM are
market leaders, and this product is free, is it any good?

I appears to be able to do a bare metal installation and may even allow some
form of dynamic ram usage, so you can configure 4 VM with 4 GB each, and
still load all four in a machine with 12 GB (approx) of physical ram.

Is that the way to go?

I did you Win 8 HyperV before, but I have to assume a light weight bare
metal VM software is a better option ?

thanks
Mark