[dba-Tech] Ram Usage

Jason Strickland jason at purplecone.com
Thu Sep 15 07:12:31 CDT 2011

We use the vSphere free versions on our campus. We currently have the 3.5,
4.1 & now 5.0 installed on 6 physical servers. On each of those servers we
are running 5 virtual servers with them being Windows 2003, Windows 2008 &
Fedora. As long as the server is within the last 3-4 years, vSphere will
work very good. On our oldest server, it is a little slower than the newer
boxes when you have extensive CPU usage (such as Windows Updates).

We use HP servers so we have a USB drive on the inside that we boot from
instead of using the physical drives.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Gustav Brock <Gustav at cactus.dk> wrote:

> Hi Mark
>
> What is "VMWare vSphere free version"?
> We use the free VMware Server extensively, it even runs the two DCs.
>
> At workstations with Win7, we use the free XP Mode for running old apps. It
> works very well too.
>
> /gustav

> Hello All,
>
> I was reading about the VMWare vSphere free version this morning.  If VM
> are
> market leaders, and this product is free, is it any good?
>
> I appears to be able to do a bare metal installation and may even allow
> some
> form of dynamic ram usage, so you can configure 4 VM with 4 GB each, and
> still load all four in a machine with 12 GB (approx) of physical ram.
>
> Is that the way to go?
>
> I did you Win 8 HyperV before, but I have to assume a light weight bare
> metal VM software is a better option ?
>
> thanks
> Mark

"One reason a dog has so many friends: he wags his tail instead of his
tongue."