[dba-Tech] Win8

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 28 11:35:02 CDT 2012

Microsoft has made Windows 8 so it will not work well with third party
products.

It seems that only MS applications will have direct access to the various
core functionality; all other third party apps will find themselves
sand-boxed.

It was initially thought that only IE would run on the new platform. That is
not correct; it is just that other browsers will not be able to access any
of the host on even the most basic level so their performance will be
dramatically reduced. I guess IE has finally found an environment in which
it actually out performs any other browser.

The main problem is that this deficiency, will extend to all foreign
applications.

http://www.freelists.org/post/luajit/FYI-No-JIT-on-Windows-8-for-ARM

So finally, Microsoft has created a little preserve for itself where it will
have no competition. Given this situation and assuming it continues
linearly, I will predict that MS will be in serious condition in ten years
maybe less. (Of course Steve Ballmer, his proponents and his loopy ideas may
be dumped in the interim.)