[dba-Tech] Can someone please tell me what all these directories are for?

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 10:22:04 CST 2012

They all have unpronounceable names such as 9e7e915c9b8a76ffbbb13a67ca740a.
And I have quite a lot of them, well less than a dozen so that is hardly a
lot; OK, let's settle on Several, which is more than a few but fewer than a
dozen. My initial guess is that they were created by various apps that I
installed, but I have no evidence for this conjecture, or perhaps it's a
hypothesis... I'm advancing in years and can no longer remember the
difference between these terms.

Can I safely nuke all these directories? Not that I need the space they
occupy, I've still almost a TB of space left, but I just wonder what they
are doing there and what purpose they serve. Is this yet another plot
launched by some genius female in Russia or China or Brazil?

Arthur