[dba-Tech] So long, Norman

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 4 13:49:07 CDT 2012

Let's be honest, without mincing words; the hardware you are talking about
was a cheap unpowered piece of junk. It was physically falling apart and was
suffering from a dozen pieces of game software... Nothing frys a system like
high resource demanding game software on flaky low-end hardware.

My personal experiences have been quite different. I bought a good solid
laptop, not cheap but definitely not over priced. That laptop is six years
old and it has virtual every communications, web-design and software
building product, graphic design and manipulation software, database and
testing software running on it. It has been dragged to every office, in a
dozen towns, that I have worked in and it has been used to setup servers,
stations, router, switches, burn software, connect remote techs, testing
software, storing data and manage documents. I work on this computer 8 to 12
hours a day, almost every day. It is a little unpowered for the new age as
it is Tosiba Satellite, only has a dual core, has two GB of RAM and 120 GB
HD.

It runs like it always has; solid as a rock.

When it comes to Windows computers you are a really a terrible tech and I
think it is more willful than by accident. ;-)