[dba-Tech] So long, Norman

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 4 15:00:01 CDT 2012

On 2012-06-04 1:49 PM, Jim Lawrence wrote:
> Let's be honest, without mincing words; the hardware you are talking about
> was a cheap unpowered piece of junk. It was physically falling apart and was
> suffering from a dozen pieces of game software... Nothing frys a system like
> high resource demanding game software on flaky low-end hardware.
>
> My personal experiences have been quite different. I bought a good solid
> laptop, not cheap but definitely not over priced. That laptop is six years
> old and it has virtual every communications, web-design and software
> building product, graphic design and manipulation software, database and
> testing software running on it. It has been dragged to every office, in a
> dozen towns, that I have worked in and it has been used to setup servers,
> stations, router, switches, burn software, connect remote techs, testing
> software, storing data and manage documents. I work on this computer 8 to 12
> hours a day, almost every day. It is a little unpowered for the new age as
> it is Tosiba Satellite, only has a dual core, has two GB of RAM and 120 GB
> HD.
>
> It runs like it always has; solid as a rock.

My experience is very like that. A 2GB XP SP2 laptop with 160GB HD has
run abourt 12h/day in lots of locations for about six years with only
one persistent problem, and  that's due to a Dell design flaw, not to
Windows.

Dodgy hardware will often look like Windows instability. Of three
desktops, two were made from kits, routinely crash, and need a lot of
TLC. The one made by HP, no more expensive than the others, is steady as
a rock.

PB

-----