[dba-Tech] Win 7 Prof network puzzle

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 12 13:33:35 CDT 2012

On 3/12/2012 12:15 PM, Jim Lawrence wrote:
> Hi Peter:
>
> That is interesting. I think Windows7 of XP protocols between each other are
> not 100 percent compatible but if you use a statement that uses the absolute
> IP address you should have no problem.

But IPs are assigned dynamically, so when a machine disappears from the
network for a day or three, and others reboot, we're screwed.

> I do not have or traditionally work with networks that are domain type which
> means everything is centrally controlled through the Active Directory and
> the policies setup. Other than that I connect to the servers and station via
> Remote desktop protocol RDP.

That meets some needs, not ours. We have one *Nix box, five Win boxes
and two tablets. Together they support a biz, a professional practice, a
set of web development environments & projects, a music server, and two
authors, such that most machines need access to the innards of many
others. If Microsoft designers don't approve of such a requirement, they
can go screw.

> But you can connect avoiding forcing the network to resolve the UNC by
> keying in the IP address: \\192.168.134.100\MyShare. (That is assuming that
> the Windows7 computer is 192.168.134.100) If you then have a user, other
> than the administrator, you will be able to connect, entering the
> appropriate username and password.

Thanks for the suggestion, but see above.

Windows 7 gives us yet more Microsoft (in)security fixes for their daft
mutually interpenetrating bloatware architecture. Ugh.

PB

-----