[dba-Tech] Win 7 Prof network puzzle

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 13 20:55:13 CDT 2012

Hi Perry:

One final comment of the Windows7 and XP networking controversy.

When Microsoft created the TCP/IP networking stack for the XP, it was
ordered to search first for pier to pier workgroups and then a domain
controller. The brand spanking new TCP/IP networking stack for Windows 7 had
the reverse order in which it first looked the domain controller and once
that was found, it would then, if directed via the setup, look for a
workgroup.

I have only worked on networks with domain controllers so I would never run
into the issues you have.

What happens is the Win7 spends up to 5 minutes trying to find its network
domain controller, equally as long when contacted via XP and when that fails
will reluctantly start looking for any WG. An XP box trying to get access to
a Win7 box basically gives up trying by then.

Within programming there is a couple of links that may assist is getting XP
and Win7 to talk:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa377522(VS.85).aspx
...and...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa376851(v=VS.85).aspx

The above are just commands allowing you as a programmer, to wait out Win7's
super slow acknowledgement and not a real fix.

The only real fix for this problem is to get with the program...that is
either replace all your XP stations with Win7 or install a real Server, with
AD, setting up server to station policies and setup user server login
accounts. Microsoft has decided that the defunct/depreciated security risky
desktop of XP is not worth spending any more time or money on supporting as
it runs out completely by June of this year.