[dba-Tech] Odd Outlook 2010 importing behavior

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Wed May 23 22:59:58 CDT 2012

Just a heads up for anyone who might try importing Outlook Express email
into Outlook 2010.

I just set up a bunch of new equipment on a new customer site. All seemed to
go well. Until the next business day when I got a call that some of the
email messages from the old PCs did not seem to make into the new ones. They
had been using Outlook Express on XP and now have Office 2010 and are using
Outlook 2010 on Win7. Sure enough the Outlook import wizard seemed to be
working correctly but it only imported so many folders and messages and then
just quit without any error message or warning. I didn't get it working
because the immediate solution was at hand. One of the owners mentioned that
all of his tasks and notes were missing too. I was a bit baffled by that
until he told he had been using Outlook 2000 on the old PC for tasks and
Notes. But he used Outlook Express for email! Ee-gads! What a way to work.
Anyway they had Outlook 2000 on all of their old PCs so I imported the
Outlook Express into it first and then copied the Outlook 2000's .pst file
to the new PCs and imported it into Outlook 2010. All is well. And now they
are using Outlook for everything <snicker>.

Anyway, beware Outlook 2010 does not import Outlook Express correctly.